NFIR – Committee to examine the recommendations of 7th CPC regarding Allowances
National Federation of Indian Railwaymen
3, CHELMSFORD ROAD, NEW DELHI – 110 055
Sub: Committee to examine the recommendations of 7th CPC regarding Allowances-reg.
In the committee meeting held on 1st September 2016, under the Chairmanship of Finance Secretary at North Block (Room No. 72) New Delhi, the Standing Committee Members of JCM (Staff Side) expressed views on 7th CPC recommendations on Allowances. After hearing the views, the Chairman of the meeting stated that further meetings will be held and suggested that in the mean time the Staff Federations may send the list containing department specific Allowances to the concerned administrative ministries and JCM (Staff Side) may send list of common allowances to JS (Imp) MoF, New Delhi for consideration. The Railway Board Chairman was also present during discussions held on 1st September 2016.
In this connection, NFIR desires to convey to the Railway Board that:-
(a) while the previous Pay Commission had doubled various Allowances, the 7th CPC has recommended enhancement of only 50% of the existing rates in those cases of a few allowances recommended to be retained. This needs to be reviewed for improvement.
(b) The 7th CPC recommendations – mainly on Night Duty Allowance, National Holiday Allowance, Transport Allowance would in effect result reduction of existing amounts. These aberrations are required to be rectified and the amount of allowances enhanced.
(c) With regard to Allowances for Running Staff like Kilometerage, ALK etc., there should be separate discussions between the Federations and Railway Board for revision and improvement as was done in the past. Attention is also invited to Para 8.11.19 and 8.11.20 of the 7th CPC report.
(d) The Pay Commission in its report vide Para 8.2.5 has stated that any allowance not mentioned (and hence not reported to the Commission) shall cease to exist immediately. The Pay Commission has further stated that in case there is any demand or requirement for continuation of existing allowance, which has not been deliberated upon by the Commission, it should be re-notified by the Ministry concerned after obtaining due approval of MoF. NFIR suggests that this Para of the report be rejected by the Government. Alternatively, the administrative ministries be empowered for continuance of any such allowance, duly apprising the necessity of continuation to the MoF.
Federation also requests the Railway Board to kindly place before the Committee (chaired by Finance Secretary) the valid points brought out by the Federation through this letter and also impress upon the committee to retain the allowances listed in the Annexure and their enhancement, considering the fact that the Railways’ working is unique, complex and not comparable with any other Ministry.
List of Allowances needed to be continued in the Railways:-
1. Break Down Allowance
2. Family Planning Allowance (should be continued to motivate the Government employees to adopt small family norms. It should be enhanced suitably).
3. Flying Squad Allowance for Ticket Checking Cadre.
4. Funeral Allowance
5. Handicapped Allowance
6. Hutting Allowance
7. Night Patrolling Allowance – needs to be continued in view of the necessity of the Patrolling of Railway Tracks during Night Time).
8. Operation Theatre Allowance
9. Outturn Allowance
10. Overtime Allowance
11. Rent Free Accommodation
12. Training Stipend
13. PCO Allowance to staff working in Production Control Organization.
14. Special Allowance to SSEs working in Workshops and PUs.
15. Special Allowance for performing announcing duties.
16. Daily Officiating Allowance
17. Split Duty Allowance
18. Special Allowance to specified categories.
[Railway Board’s letter No. E(P&A)I-2009/SP-1/Genl dated 30/04/2010).
19. Special Allowance for Central Ticket Squad of Railway Board.
(Railway Board’s letter No. 81/Ticket Checking/2/3 dated 12/05/1981 and letter No. E(P&A)I-2009/SP-l/Genl-1 dated 13/12/2012).
20. Cycle Allowance (The recommendation of Ministry of Railways for discontinuance is unjustified).
21. Special Allowance to Train Superintendent etc
22. Deputation (Duty) Allowance
23. Conveyance Allowance
24. Mileage Allowance for Journeys by Road
25. Children Education Allowance – Though retained at lower rates – needs to be enhanced to atleast 3000 and 8000 per month respectively for Education Allowance and Hostel Subsidy respectively with proviso that whenever D.A increases by 50%, the CEA shall be increased by 25%.
26. Fixed Medical Allowance may be increased to not less than Rs. 2000/- p.m.
27. Night Duty Allowance to be continued and rates revised.
28. Special Duty Allowance to be retained and rates revised.
29. Bad Climate Allowance to be retained and rates revised.
30. Tribal Area Allowance to be retained and rates revised.
31. Dress Allowance to be upwardly revised to not less than Rs. 10,000/-.
32. Washing Allowance may be granted from Rs. 300/- to Rs. 600/- p.m. to maintain the Uniform in nice condition.
33. Water Allowance for Track Maintainers.
Interest free advances to the Railway employees.
All interest free advances payable to Railway employees need to be retained in view of the fact that these are recovered from the salaries of employees.
Source : NFIR